Proudly Serving Bucks
and the Surrounding Counties


Have Questions? 215-860-2500

Q&A – Answers to Your Questions


What is the first thing I should do if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?

Make sure the police are called to the scene of the accident. Cooperate fully with the police officer. If you are injured, tell the police officer that you are injured. If you are injured, go to the closest emergency room for evaluation and treatment. Follow-up with all treatment recommendations given by the emergency room physicians.

Should I see my family doctor if I am injured in a motor vehicle accident?

Yes. After being discharged from the emergency room, you should follow up with your family physician for any continuing symptoms.

When I am injured in an accident, do I need a referral from my primary doctor to go to a specialist?

When you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, your automobile insurance pays for your medical treatment, and you’re not required to seek referrals from your family physician to go to specialists. Only after your medical insurance benefits are exhausted under the auto policy are you required (if you have an HMO type of policy) to treat with your family physician and obtain referrals from your family physician.

How do I know if I have a valid personal injury claim?

Consult experienced personal injury counsel to evaluate the feasibility of a claim for compensation.

Automobile Insurance-Related

What is the difference between “limited tort” and “full tort” on my automobile insurance policy?

If you select “limited tort,” you will not be entitled to receive compensation for physical pain, emotional suffering and other so-called “intangible damages” unless you sustain “serious bodily injury” – more specifically defined as “serious impairment of body function.” If you select “limited tort,” the insurance company for the other driver will almost always dispute your entitlement to any compensation for intangible damages.

If you elect “full tort,” you are entitled to be compensated for all damages – without regard to whether or not your injury is considered “serious bodily injury.” The election of “full tort” is slightly more expensive; however, it is well worth the additional expense.

What is “umbrella coverage” on my automobile insurance policy and should I have it?

Umbrella coverage is a form of insurance coverage that is “excess” to your primary, underlining automobile insurance coverage, homeowners insurance coverage and other insurance policies. It provides significant additional protection at a very low cost. If at all possible, you should purchase umbrella coverage in addition to your automobile and homeowners insurance.

When I shop for automobile insurance, what else should I be looking for?

Make sure you obtain uninsured and underinsured coverage of at least $100,000/$300,000 in addition to your liability coverage of $100,000 and property damage coverage of at least $25,000. If you have more than one automobile insured under the same policy, make sure your uninsured and underinsured coverage is “stacked.” This is a relatively inexpensive feature of your insurance policy and becomes extremely important if you are seriously injured. It permits you to combine all underinsured and uninsured policy limits.

Please note!

This information is provided for general purposes only. It is not intended to be relied upon as legal authority and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please consult with an experienced attorney for a legal interpretation provided face-to-face.


This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.